These ingredients are assuming you have a large loaf like me(I got about 18 slices out of it) and that you are OKAY with some extra egg mixture. I used it to make my French Toast Dumplings!
- 1 loaf Challah bread (I got my loaf from Lotta's Bakery on Polk Street, what great local bakery!)
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 3 tablespoons crushed raspberries
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 12 pieces of bacon
If you want bacon on the side, an easy way to do it without thinking to much is to bake it at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes on a large cookie sheet. After it was done baking I turned off the oven and left the cookie sheet inside to keep the bacon warm and crispy while I finished up the toast. Just keep an eye on it while you work on your french toast!
- Crack all of your eggs into a large bowl
- Add the half and half and whisk thoroughly
- Toss in the vanilla and sprinkle a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon on top. It should look like you added a few freckles, but shouldn't significantly change the color
- Slice your loaf into 3/4 inch slices
- Heat up a large frying pan on medium heat (if you have a skillet, use that! I just don't have that upgrade yet :))
- Add a large slice of butter. And I mean large! More butter the better.
- Dunk your slices of challah into the egg mixture one at a time. Make sure it is well soaked. It should be borderline falling apart when you put in onto the hot pan.
- Put 3-4 slices on the pan and cook for about 5 minutes each side. I like mine a little crispier, so I let them cook a little longer on each side.
- As you finish cooking the slices in batches place on a plate and put into the warm oven with the bacon (if you aren't cooking bacon, just turn the oven on very low)
- Combine the ricotta, strawberry, and raspberry in a bowl
- After you have cooked all the slices, take 2-3 slices a person, grab a couple of pieces of bacon and add a large dollop of the fruit and cheese.
- Drizzle with syrup, and enjoy!