When I stayed in Italy we would cook dinner together most nights. Usually we made some kind of pasta dish and one that I specifically asked to learn was Carbonara. It's simple, and still sussing out the exact ingredients, but here's what I've got!
Ingredients PER PERSON:
- 1 Fresh Egg at room temperature
- 4-5 oz dry spaghetti
- 3 oz guanciale cut into small cubes
- 2-3 heaping tablespoons grated Parmagiano Regiano cheese
- 2-3 heaping tablespoons grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Boil a large pot of water with a LOT of salt
- Add pasta to water (Look at your pasta for cooking instructions for time, but the pasta I purchased took about 14 minutes to cook)
- While pasta boils cook guanciale in a large pan until brown and fat has cooked.
- Drain most of the fat and set the pan aside
- In a small bowl whisk egg and cheese together
- Before draining pasta, take about a tablespoon of pasta water per person and place aside
- Drain pasta
- Add pasta and water to the pan with guanciale and place over medium heat
- Stir for about 30 seconds
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in the cheese and egg
- Stir in the pepper and serve!